I mentioned in my first post about the perfect t-shirt quest that the original was a light grey, heathered cotton shirt from H&M. On the last trip to my local fabric store for some costume sewing supplies, I found a yard of mystery jersey that looked pretty perfect to make my replacement t-shirt out of! Again, it’s a little heavier of a jersey (and probably a poly-cotton blend) than the original, but unlike the previous shirt I made, this seems to be more cotton and less viscose. It’s not as drapey, a little more stable, and wow – so soft and comfortable.
Fabric: Mystery jersey in a heathered grey from my local fabric store.
Pattern: Self-drafted from a beloved old H&M t-shirt.
Techniques: jersey fabric, neck binding, serged seams.
I did make a couple of changes from last version, which were to reduce the width at the bottom of the sleeve by taking a wedge out, and to add a few inches of width to the bottom hem. I came across a tip to use dental floss and a zig-zag stitch to gather jersey, which sounds like a clever idea. It went ok, but I think the length that needed to be gathered is so short that the dental floss method wasn’t really necessary. This time I just handbasted to gather instead, and it worked fine. The gathers are actually the trickiest part of making this t-shirt!
Other than that, quite simple and straight forward. The thing that’s taken the longest is waiting for my sewing machine to come back from
boot-camp a tune-up, so I could hem the shirt! After so many knits lately, I’m switching gears and working on a plaid shirtdress, like I mentioned in the last post. It’s coming along nicely, but slowly – those stripes require some focus and attention matching up, and lets not even talk about the bias cut hem pieces. Hello interfacing! But don’t worry, I still have some yardage left of jersey fabrics, I’m sure there will be more t-shirts soon!