Since last time, I have been…
– taking a weekend trip to Haarlem, 15 minutes from Amsterdam. We had a concert to go to, and followed it up with museums, postmodern architecture towns, good food and lots of strolling. I so recommend visiting here! (I actually enjoyed my time in Haarlem more than the hours we spent in Amsterdam, it is such a beautiful and charming little town).
– enjoying all the bikes and trains in the Netherlands. I know this is a total cliche, but man – bikes everywhere! Bikes among cars, bikes among pedestrians, bikes by train stations, bikes everywhere! It was actually quite a wonder to see everyone in action, like an intricate dance where nobody gets run over, surprisingly enough. Oh, and the train system is pretty awesome – they run on schedule, they run often, and you can get close to anywhere in the country with them.
– wearing my newly finished Minoru jacket like nobodys business. Pictures (in two posts!) coming later this week.
– wanting to start these socks for John – he doesn’t often say “cool” about sock-designs, but he did about these!
– reading books on loan from my local library on my new tablet (a Christmas present – thanks dad!). You can check out electronic books from the library! I love it. This is a fairly new title from Norwegian author Helene Uri, and actually the first of her books I’ve read. The narrative switches between a biographical and a more traditional third person all-knowing narrator. I didn’t know this, or anything else about the book when I started reading it, but I don’t want to put it down. She writes so recognizably (and, because of that, painfully) about loss.
– entertaining myself with finding how many things match my mint-colored nails. So far I have a museum wall, a tram ticket, my jacket lining and the phone display at work. I’m sure I’ll find even more before being done having mint-colored nails. Mint is a sort of magical color I think.