I’m back from easter vacation! I hope everyone had a lovely holiday – I definitely did. I’ll share some picture in the next “around here” post, later this week. I mentioned in the last post that I had one goal – to eat and drink well, and I certainly did that. Anyways, this is about the sweater I promised to share after easter. So here it is, with some lovely sunset pictures!
Yarn: Fingering weight “Tynn Alpakka” yarn from “Du Store Alpakka”, in a dark brown.
Pattern: Heritage Pretty Mallory by Cascade Yarns. By the way, I came across an early discussion where the designer was settling on the name of the pattern, and I liked the first iteration of “Renegade Mallory”. See more of my notes on my ravelry project page.
Techniques: Lace on the sleeves, top-down raglan construction. Did shaping at sides instead of in middle. I used twisted knit stitches on all the rib, and it helps it not stretch out too badly, and looks very neat. The rib doesn’t lay totally flat though, but I’m not quite sure what to do about that.
I started knitting this last april, and got about 4 inches past the neckband into the raglan construction, and then I put it away for almost a year. I’m not sure why I did, but after picking it up in January, it’s been pretty much a breeze! I mentioned here that I was flying through the sleeves, and they really did go so much faster than I expected once I had memorized the lace repeats. Of course, all I had left then was half a sweater worth of stockinette knitting! Slow and steady, and finally I was done with that too.
The pattern has some slight shaping at the princess lines in the front and the back, but I wasn’t crazy about potentially seeing that shaping, so I moved it to the sides. I also decreased a little extra on the front only, to shape for the bust a little better. This means that the sweater isn’t actually the same front to back, but you can’t *see* the difference easily! During my easter travelling I kept having to hold up the sweater to the light to see where the shaping was. So, this morning I took some scrap yarn and wove in a couple of rows of contrasting color to act as a sort of label. I thought that was quite clever!